Christmas is only 3 months away, can you believe it? Where has the year gone?!!
We've been feeling festive since the arrival of our adorable Australian Bush Xmas fabric collection, designed right here in Australia by Shauna Scicluna, part of our Leutenegger design team. The collection includes three great panel designs for you to easily make your own Advent Calendar, Xmas Stocking and decorative Bunting, plus a couple of cute coordinates to play with.
Today we're going to mix it up a bit and show you how to make two friendly Xmas plushies using the Stocking panel.
To make your lovable Koala and Kangaroo plushies, you will need:
- 1x Australian Bush Xmas Stocking panel
- Green Polka Dot coordinate fabric
- Light weight iron-on interfacing
- Cotton or polyester toy stuffing for filling your plushies
- Erasable fabric pencil or chalk
- General sewing supplies: thread, needle, pins, scissors, sewing machine
1. Start by ironing interfacing onto the wrong side of your Stocking panel and the Polka Dot coordinate. This will ensure your cuddly friends stand the test of time.
2. With your fabric pencil, trace an outline around the Koala and kangaroo shapes on the panel, leaving approximately 2cm seam allowance around each shape, and rounding out any corner angles.
4. Unpin your fabric pieces, and then re-pin together with right sides facing this time. Sew the pieces together with 1cm seam allowance, leaving an opening at the base, about 6-7cm.
5. Carefully clip all curves - this will help your seams to sit smoothly when they are turned right side out!
6. Turn your fabric right side out and begin to fill your shape with stuffing, pushing it into all bumps and corners evenly. Use a knitting needle or chopstick to get the stuffing into hard to read areas.
7. Once your shape is stuffed nice and full, simply sew the base gap closed with a slip stitch. Now you've got two cuddly Xmas friends to get you in the festive spirit! These guys would make great gifts, or you could simply use them to add some decorative cheer to your home!
Check out the rest of the Australian Bush Xmas collection on our website now, and stay tuned for more cute Christmas project ideas, including how to make decorations using your left over Stocking panel scraps!